I know this isn't a very pleasant topic but nothing is worse than barf stains and smells in your carpet, car, or anywhere. Who knew that 2 inexpensive things you already had in the pantry were all you needed to clean it? I'm so grateful for simple, inexpensive solutions to life's little challenges!
What you'll need:
Vinegar (White vinegar, NOT balsamic)
A wet rag
Paper towels (or rags if you don't mind cleaning them later)
1. Clean up the area as best you can with the wet rag (blot, don't rub. Rubbing works the vomit, or anything wlse you're trying to clean into the carpet fibers. Wait until you have cleaner to do this.)
2. Sprinkle baking soda so that it completely covers the vomit
3. Sprinkle Vinegar (not too much) over the baking soda so that it foams lightly
4. Wait a while for it to dry a bit, I waited about a half hour, then absorb the extra moisture with paper towels.
5. repeat steps 2 - 4 at least once.
6. Allow bakingsoda/vinegar to completely dry, then vacuum it up!
Now the stain AND the smell are gone! I know it works because my husband was sick in the car and even when the car gets hot it doesn't smell! You can smell vinegar for about a day afterwards but that dissipates pretty quickly. I've been told this also works with pet smells and stains in the carpet.