Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What Christmas Means to Me

It's Christmas Eve! This is my first year spending Christmas away from my parents and siblings (we're with the in-laws this year and so far it's been wonderful) and I've been thinking a lot about what Christmas means to me.

Christmas has always been centered around family. I love my family and I love spending time with them, but even if I was alone on December 25th, it would still be Christmas.

Christmas is also about giving. I always try to find a way to give service as well as gifts around Christmas. There were a few years growing up where my family was struggling financially and members of our church, family, and neighbors came together to give us groceries, clothes, and toys for Christmas. Even though I was very young, I still remember and am touched by the love I felt from them and from my Father in Heaven those years, and I try to do what I can to pay that forward and help those who have less than I do. Being a college student and expectant mother I don't have much extra financially, but I can spare a batch of cookies, a few hours of babysitting or cleaning, or just a kind note to someone who needs it.

Ultimately, Christmas is about Jesus Christ. He, who was the best example of unconditional love, selfless service, and who gave the greatest gift of his life so that we can be together with our families forever. Without him, we would have none of these things that make Christmas what they are. I am so grateful for him. I know that he lives. I know that it is through his grace that we are saved. I know that he knows us individually and has felt our pain and suffering and that he will always lift our burdens as we ask. I am am so thankful for that knowledge.


I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas, full of fun, laughter, joy, and the love of the Savior.
Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! I love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment!