Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Healthy Smash Cake Recipe

This week was Sam's first birthday! Ever since I heard about smash cakes I've been wanting to do one for him, but I didn't like the idea of feeding him tons of sugar and other things that I haven't really let him eat yet. I know, I'm a hypocrite. I love anything unhealthy (except for twinkies) but I don't want my baby to be the same, so I'm trying to help him eat well. I found this recipe over at Fit Mama Real Food and was so excited that it seemed so healthy. I also loved that I could substitute the baby food in my pantry (that Sam is starting to refuse to eat) for several of the ingredients!
Here's how you make it:

You will need:

1 jar of applesauce, 3-4 jars of bananas, 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 3/4 cup of baby oatmeal cereal, 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
*all of the jars of baby food that I used are 4 oz



Mix Bananas and applesauce,



coconut oil,



and vanilla extract in one bowl.



In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, and baking soda.



Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.



Grease your baking dishes. (I learned this greasing technique from my mother in law: put some coconut oil into the pan and wipe it around with a paper towel. You can also just use cooking spray.)



Then pour in your batter.



Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes and allow to cool before frosting. When I took mine out of the pans they started to lose their shape so I popped them back into their dishes and waited until they were room temperature to take them out again and they held up well after that.

For frosting I used plain greek yogurt (and then went a little crazy with the sprinkles!)

Sam loved it, and he really likes the non-frosted, non-sprinkled muffins a lot as well! For pictures of the smashing, go here, and here.




Here is a printer-friendly version of the recipe!



Ingredients
        1 Jar Applesauce
        3-4 Jars Banana
        3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (melted)
        1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
        3/4 Cup Baby Oatmeal Cereal
        3/4 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
        1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
        1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
                *all of the jars of baby food that I used are 4 oz

Directions

  1. Mix Bananas, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract in one bowl. (I used five jars of bananas and found it to be too much. I would suggest three or four.)
  2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, and baking soda.
  3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
  4. Pour batter into greased baking dishes. I used two bowls that were four inches across and filled them two inches deep. I had enough batter left over to make 9 mini muffins for Sam to snack on. 
  5. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mine took about 35 minutes to cook. If you're using shallower pans, do less baking time. 
  6. Allow to cool before frosting. I would suggest in the pan. When I took mine out they started to lose their shape so I popped them back into their dishes and waited until they were room temperature to take them out again and they held up well after that.

Happy Baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! I love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment!