Friday, January 31, 2014

Reading The Book of Mormon in Under 3 Months


In November our *Stake President challenged us to read the entire Book of Mormon as a couple before stake conference in February. At first, when we started, we calculated that we needed to read six or seven pages a day to get it done. Not very much. Honestly, I've read books almost twice this length in a matter of weeks, but we wanted to read it together, out loud, which takes a bit longer. Then we had a family emergency, didn't read as much as we should have during Thanksgiving and Christmas break, and just stopped early a few times when we were sick or tired at the end of the day. We're now needing to read 13 pages a day to finish, but we're planning to be done by the day before conference. Mission accomplished!

Every once in a while this feels like a burden. It can take a long time to finish our daily reading, which we usually do right around bedtime, and I get tired. But then I think of how much I love this book and how many blessings I've seen in my life because we've accepted this challenge. 

President Runia told us that if we did this that the spirit would increase in our home and that we would have increased tenderness in our marriage. I have noticed that. Cameron and I have become more patient and loving towards each other. It is easier to feel the spirit in our home, which in turn creates more peace and love.

Although I've read The Book of Mormon before, several times, reading it so quickly this time has helped me to see the continuity so much more clearly. To see things prophesied and then happen in such close proximity to each other that I'm able to recall more clearly what was said is a true blessing. It has strengthened my testimony that the Lord keeps his promises, that he lives, and that miracles are real.

I know that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that it teaches of Him and His Son, just as the Bible does. I know that, if we let it, the doctrine and stories in it can change our hearts and help us to become more like our Savior. I am so grateful for this church, I am so grateful for the scriptures, and I am so grateful for the love of my Heavenly Father.

*A Stake President is an ecclesiastical leader who presides over a group of about 10 wards (or congregations) which make up a stake. If you have any questions about this or anything else I've mentioned please feel free to leave a comment or send me a message! 

If you want to do some research about the LDS church, receive a free copy of the Book of Mormon, or want to chat online with Mormon Missionaries (or make an appointment to speak with them in person), visit mormon.org, or click the "I Believe" link at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! I love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment!